GMT Games, probably the most prolific of the wargame
A wargame is a strategy game that deals with military operations of various types, real or fictional. Wargaming is the hobby dedicated to the play of such games, which can also be called conflict simulations, or consims for short. When used professionally to study warfare, it is generally known as...
companies in the 1990s and 2000s, was founded in 1990. The current management and creative team includes Tony Curtis, Rodger MacGowan, Mark Simonitch, and Andy Lewis. The company has become well known for graphically attractive games that range from "monster games", of many maps and counters, to quite simple games suitable for introducing new players to wargaming. They also produce card games and family games.
GMT's name comes from the first name initials of founders Gene Billingsley, Mike Crane, and Terry Shrum. However, Crane and Shrum soon split acrimoniously with GMT, and founded their own company, the Fresno Gaming Association.
Project 500After the downsizing of the game distribution network in the mid-late 1990s, the company decided they needed a new way to fund the production of new games. This prompted them to introduce the "Project 500" system, which allows customers to vote via pre-order for the games they most want to see produced. Production of a new game does not start until there are a minimum number pre-orders for a particular game (originally about 500, but now more realistically about 750). Pre-orders are offered at a discount
Discounts and allowances
Discounts and allowances are reductions to a basic price of goods or services.They can occur anywhere in the distribution channel, modifying either the manufacturer's list price , the retail price , or the list price Discounts and allowances are reductions to a basic price of goods or services.They...
to encourage people to commit to a game with the understanding that sufficient numbers of orders are needed before the game is produced. This commitment does not involve a financial payment until the game has made the needed number of orders and is about to be produced.
GamesSome of the better-known games produced by GMT Games include:
- A World At WarA World At WarA World At War is a board wargame published by GMT Games. It is a descendant of Avalon Hill's games Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun. It depicts the Second World War in Europe, as well as the war in the Pacific theater....
- Barbarossa to Berlin
- ChandraguptaChandragupta (board game)Chandragupta is a board wargame designed by Stephen R. Welch and released in 2008 by GMT Games as part of the Great Battles of History series of games on ancient warfare...
- Combat Commander
- Europe EngulfedEurope EngulfedEurope Engulfed is a block wargame designed by Rick Young and Jesse Evans for GMT Games, first published in 2003, and it simulates the European theater of war during World War II featuring a streamlined play structure and multiple well-balanced strategies for both sides, giving players the chance...
- Great Battles of History (series)
- Great Battles of the American Civil War (series)
- Fields of FireFields of Fire (game)Fields of Fire is a solitaire tactical wargame published by GMT Games that is designed to simulate various historical campaigns of wars between World War II and now. The game is card based with two decks used to play, including a terrain deck and action decks. You must build maps for missions and...
- For The People 2
- Here I Stand
- Invasion: Sicily
- June 6th
- Napoleonic Wars, The
- Paths of GloryPaths of Glory (board game)Paths of Glory: The First World War, 1914-1918 is a strategy board wargame, designed in 1999 by the six-time Charles S. Roberts Awards winner Ted Raicer and published by GMT Games. It covers World War I from its outbreak to the 1918 Armistice, or based on the progress of the game a hypothetical...
- Roads to Leningrad
- Sword of RomeSword of RomeSword of Rome is a board game for 2-4 players, designed by Wray Ferrell and published in 2004 by GMT Games. It was awarded the 2005 best historical simulation game....
- SPQRSPQR (board game)SPQR is a board wargame designed by Richard Berg and Mark Herman, and released in 1992 by GMT Games, as part of the Great Battles of History series of games on ancient warfare...
- Twilight StruggleTwilight StruggleTwilight Struggle is a card-driven board wargame for two players, with its theme taken from the Cold War. One player plays the United States , and the other plays the Soviet Union . The game takes its title from John F...
- Wilderness War - a game set in the French and Indian War
- Down in Flames - a card driven game of WW2 air combat
- Commands & Colors: AncientsCommands & Colors: AncientsCommands & Colors: Ancients is a board wargame designed by Richard Borg, Pat Kurivial, and Roy Grider, and published by GMT Games in 2006. It is based on Borg's Command & Colors system using some elements similar to his other games such as Memoir '44 and Battle Cry designed to simulate the "fog of...
- a block game with card-driven action, based upon tactical combat in the Classical Period.