Academy of the Hebrew Language
The Academy of the Hebrew Language was established by the Israel
The State of Israel is a parliamentary republic located in the Middle East, along the eastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea...
i government in 1953 as the "supreme institution for scholarship on the Hebrew language."
HistoryThe Academy replaced the Hebrew Language Committee (Vaʻad ha-lashon ha-ʻIvrit) established in 1890. It is responsible for creating new Hebrew
Hebrew is a Semitic language of the Afroasiatic language family. Culturally, is it considered by Jews and other religious groups as the language of the Jewish people, though other Jewish languages had originated among diaspora Jews, and the Hebrew language is also used by non-Jewish groups, such...
words to keep up modern usage. Although the academy's business is creating new words from Hebrew roots and structures to replace loanwords derived from other languages, its own name is a loanword, "akademya." The Academy sets standards for modern Hebrew grammar, orthography, transliteration, and punctuation based on the historical development of the language.
OrganizationThe plenum consists of 23 members. In addition, the academy employs 15 academic advisors, among them respected scholars of language, linguistics, Judaic studies, and Bible. The Academy’s decisions are binding on all governmental agencies, including the Israel Broadcasting Authority
Israel Broadcasting Authority
Israel Broadcasting Authority is Israel's state broadcasting network.It grew out of the radio station Kol Yisrael, which made its first broadcast as an independent station on . The name of the organisation operating Kol Yisrael was changed to Israel Broadcasting Service in 1951...
- Study of the Hebrew languageStudy of the Hebrew languageStudy of the Hebrew language has an ancient history. Since Hebrew is the original language of the Hebrew Bible , it is therefore a language that has always been central to Judaism and valued by the Jewish people for over three thousand years and later by Christian scholars as well.-Jewish scholars...
- List of language regulators
- YIVO (Yidisher Visnshaftlekher Institut)YIVOYIVO, , established in 1925 in Wilno, Poland as the Yidisher Visnshaftlekher Institut , or Yiddish Scientific Institute, is a source for orthography, lexicography, and other studies related to the Yiddish language...
- Revival of the Hebrew language
- Eliezer Ben Yehuda
- Moshe Bar-AsherMoshe Bar-AsherMoshe Bar-Asher is an Israeli linguist and the president of the Academy of the Hebrew Language in Jerusalem.-Background:Bar-Asher was born in Ksar es Souk , Morocco, in 1939. He immigrated to Israel in 1951 when he was twelve years old....