(1) A division of a prison (usually consisting of several cells)
(2) Block forming a division of a hospital (or a suite of rooms) shared by patients who need a similar kind of care
"They put her in a 4-bed ward"
(3) A district into which a city or town is divided for the purpose of administration and elections
(4) A person who is under the protection or in the custody of another
(5) United States businessman who in 1872 established a successful mail-order business (1843-1913)
(6) English writer of novels who was an active opponent of the women's suffrage movement (1851-1920)
(7) English economist and conservationist (1914-1981)
(8) Watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
"Guard my possessions while I'm away"