(1) The people living in a municipality smaller than a city
"The whole town cheered the team"
(2) An urban area with a fixed boundary that is smaller than a city
"They drive through town on their way to work"
(3) An administrative division of a county
"The town is responsible for snow removal"
From tūn. Cognate with Dutch tuin ‘garden’, German Zaun 'fence', Danish and Swedish tun ‘fence’.
- a settlement; an area with residential districts, shops and amenities, and its own local government; especially one larger than a village and smaller than a city
- a rural settlement in which a market was held at least once a week.
- The residents,(as opposed to , the students etc.) of a community having a university
An urban city is typically larger than a rural town, which in turn is typically larger than a village. In rural areas, a town is considered urban. In urban areas, a town is considered suburban; a village in the suburbs.