(1) Not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material
"Supernatural forces and occurrences and beings"
(2) Supernatural forces and events and beings collectively
"She doesn't believe in the supernatural"
From Latin supernaturalis, from super, above, + natura, nature (that which we are born with), from natus, born, perfect passive participle of nasci, to be born, + adjective suffix -alis
- Above nature; that which is beyond or added to nature, often so considered because it is given by God or some force beyond that which humans are born with. In Roman Catholic theology, sanctifying grace is considered to be a supernatural addition to human nature.
- Something that is not of the usual. Something that is somehow not natural, or has been altered by forces that are not understood fully if at all.
- Something that is neither visible nor measurable.