(1) A region of northern Africa south of the Sahara and Libyan deserts; extends from the Atlantic to the Red Sea
(2) A republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea; achieved independence from Egypt and the United Kingdom in 1956
From Arabic plural (sudá:n),
- Country in Northeast Africa. Official name: Republic of Sudan.
- Often used with the definite article "the".
- A climatic zone characterized by savannas and mosaic forests running in a belt just south of the Sahel in West and East Africa
- Former name for the present day country of Mali when it was under French colonial rule (Soudan)