(1) A fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character
(2) An inclination or tendency of a certain kind
"He had a change of heart"
(3) Animation and energy in action or expression
"It was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
(4) The intended meaning of a communication
(5) Any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
(6) The vital principle or animating force within living things
(7) The state of a person's emotions (especially with regard to pleasure or dejection)
"His emotional state depended on her opinion"
"He was in good spirits"
"His spirit rose"
(8) The general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"The feel of the city excited him"
"A clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"
"It had the smell of treason"
(9) Infuse with spirit
"The company spirited him up"
- (Holy) Spirit: in Christian theology, the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, the three aspects of God
- The name given to a Mars exploration rover launched June 10, 2003. See wikipedia entry