(1) Uninterrupted in space; having no gaps or breaks
"A solid line across the page"
"Solid sheets of water"
(2) Incapable of being seen through
(3) Having three dimensions
"A solid object"
(4) Acting together as a single undiversified whole
"A solid voting bloc"
(5) Characterized by good substantial quality
"A solid base hit"
(6) Morally admirable
"A worthy citizen"
(7) Not soft or yielding to pressure
"A firm mattress"
"The snow was firm underfoot"
(8) Of one substance or character throughout
"Carved out of solid rock"
(9) Of the same color throughout
(10) Of a substantial character and not frivolous or superficial
" work of solid scholarship"
"Based on solid facts"
(11) Of definite shape and volume; firm; neither liquid nor gaseous
"Ice is water in the solid state"
(12) Entirely of one substance with no holes inside
"A solid block of wood"
(13) Financially sound
"The bank is solid and will survive this attack"
(14) Of good quality and condition; solidly built
"A solid foundation"
"Several substantial timber buildings"
(15) Providing abundant nourishment
"A hearty meal"
"Good solid food"
"Ate a substantial breakfast"
"Four square meals a day"
(16) A three-dimensional shape
(17) The state in which a substance has no tendency to flow under moderate stress; resists forces (such as compression) that tend to deform it; and retains a definite size and shape
(18) A substance that is solid at room temperature and pressure
From from , from .
- In the solid state; not fluid.
- Large, massive.
- Lacking holes or hollows; as solid gold, solid chocolate.
- Strong or unyielding; as a solid foundation.
- Lacking errors or inconsistencies.
- Written as one word, without spaces or hyphens.
- American English writes many words as solid that British English hyphenates.
- Excellent, especially musically.
- A substance in the fundamental state of matter that retains its size and shape without need of a container (as opposed to a liquid or gas).
- A three-dimensional figure (as opposed to a surface, an area, or a curve).
- A favor: a helpful deed.