(1) The skin that covers the top of the head
"They wanted to take his scalp as a trophy"
(2) Remove the scalp of
"The enemies were scalped"
(3) Sell illegally, as on the black market
Originally a northern word, and therefore presumed to come from a Scandinavian source, although the sense-development is unclear; compare Old Norse , Middle Dutch .
- The top of the head; the skull.
- The part of the head where the hair grows from, or used to grow from
- A victory.
- A bed or stratum of shellfish; a scaup.
- To remove the part of the head from where the hair grows, by brutal act or accident.
- To sell for a greatly inflated price to those in desperation, as in scalping tickets to a ball game.