(1) Harsh or severe speech or behavior
"Men associate the roughness of nonstandard working-class speech with masculinity"
"The roughness of her voice was a signal to keep quiet"
(2) An unpolished unrefined quality
"The crudeness of frontier dwellings depressed her"
(3) A texture of a surface or edge that is not smooth but is irregular and uneven
(4) The quality of being unpleasant (harsh or rough or grating) to the senses
(5) The formation of small pits in a surface as a consequence of corrosion
(6) Rowdy behavior
(7) Used of the sea during inclement or stormy weather
- The property of being rough, coarseness.
- The roughness of the road made me wonder if my car would fall apart.