(1) Payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence
"Every store in the neighborhood had to pay him protection"
(2) The activity of protecting someone or something
"The witnesses demanded police protection"
(3) The imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition
"He made trade protection a plank in the party platform"
(4) Kindly endorsement and guidance
"The tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
(5) A covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury
"They had no protection from the fallout"
"Wax provided protection for the floors"
(6) Defense against financial failure; financial independence
"His pension gave him security in his old age"
"Insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
(7) The condition of being protected
"They were huddled together for protection"
"He enjoyed a sense of peace and protection in his new home"
- The process of keeping (something or someone) safe.
- An instance of a security token associated with a resource (such as a file.)