(1) A small lake
"The pond was too small for sailing"
- An inland body of standing water, either natural or man-made, that is smaller than a lake.
- (colloquial) The Atlantic Ocean. Especially in across the pond.
- To block the flow of water so that it can escape only through evaporation or seepage; to dam.
- 2004, Calvin W. Rose, An Introduction to the Environmental Physics of Soil, Water and Watersheds http://books.google.com/books?id=TxCQ-DaSIwUC, ISBN 0521536790, page 201:
- The rate of fall of the surface of water ponded over the soil within the ring gives a measure of the infiltration rate for the particular enclosed area.