(1) Large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated
(2) A tropical American plant bearing a large fleshy edible fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated in the tropics
A calque of , from the resemblance of the fruit to a pine cone, as noted by Dutch importers of the fruit to Europe.
- A tropical plant native to South America, having thirty or more long, spined and pointed leaves surrounding a thick stem.
- The ovoid fruit of the pineapple plant, which has very sweet, white or yellow flesh, a tough, spiky shell and a tough, fibrous core.
- A hand grenade.
- An Australian fifty dollar note.
- (plant): pineapple plant
- (hand grenade): grenade, hand grenade