(1) A room in a hospital equipped for the performance of surgical operations
"Great care is taken to keep the operating rooms aseptic"
(2) A state in northwestern United States on the Pacific
- Connects at least two words, phrases, clauses, etc. that each could make a sentence true. In English, this is the "inclusive or." The "exclusive or" is "either...or".
- Logical union of two sets of values. There are two forms, an exclusive or and an inclusive or.
- The gold or yellow tincture on a coat of arms.
- 1909: The metals are gold and silver, these being termed "or" and "argent". — Arthur Charles Fox-Davies, A Complete Guide to Heraldry
- 1889: In engraving, "Or" is expressed by dots. — Charles Norton Elvin, A Dictionary of Heraldry
Sometimes abbreviated as in heraldic contexts. Sometimes capitalized to distinguish use as a color from use as a conjunction.
Late , from Scandinavian (compare Old Norse ). Compare .
- Early (on).
- Earlier, previously.