(1) The activity of representing something by a special system of marks or characters
(2) A comment or instruction (usually added)
"His notes were appended at the end of the article"
"He added a short notation to the address on the envelope"
(3) A technical system of symbols used to represent special things
- The act, process, method, or an instance of representing by a system or set of marks, signs, figures, or characters.
- A system of characters, symbols, or abbreviated expressions used in an art or science or in mathematics or logic to express technical facts or quantities.
- A specific note or piece of information written in such a notation.
- She made a notation in the margin of the book.