(1) Coming from the north; used especially of wind
"The north wind doth blow"
"A northern snowstorm"
"The winds are northerly"
(2) Situated in or oriented toward the north
"The northern suburbs"
"Going in a northerly direction"
(3) Situated in or coming from regions of the north
"The northern hemisphere"
"Northern autumn colors"
(4) In or characteristic of a region of the United States north of (approximately) the Mason-Dixon line
(5) A dialect of Middle English that developed into Scottish Lallans
northerne < north (cognate with nordrōni).
- Of, facing, situated in, or related to the north.
- Blowing from the north; northerly.
- Characteristic of the North of England (usually capitalised).
- Les Dawson was a famous Northern comedian.