Local area network
(1) A local computer network for communication between computers; especially a network connecting computers and word processors and other electronic office equipment to create a communication system between offices
- acronym for "Local Area Network", as contrasted with a WAN, or Wide Area Network. An interconnection of computers that are in relatively close proximity to each other, such as within a building.
- A LAN connects all of the computers in our office.
- A network on which all devices communicate using OSI model device layer addressing; A network on which all communication is delivered by way of MAC address. A network which is not routed.
- (communication by way of MAC address) This is the technically correct sense of the term in an internetworking context.