(1) Of or pertaining to American Indians or their culture or languages
"Native American religions"
(2) Of or relating to or characteristic of India or the East Indies or their peoples or languages or cultures
"The Indian subcontinent"
(3) Any of the languages spoken by Amerindians
(4) A member of the race of people living in America when Europeans arrived
(5) A native or inhabitant of India
Noun: 1495 Yndeens or Indes, 1548 Indyans, 1553 Indians, 1611 Indian. Adjective: 1566. .
- Of or related to India or its people.
- Of or related to the indigenous peoples of the Americas (but not the Aleut, Inuit, Metis, or Yupik).
SynonymsFirst Nations Aboriginal, Amerindian, Native
- Person from India.
- A member of one of the indigenous peoples of the Americas (but not a member of the Aleut, Inuit, Metis, or Yupik).
- An Australian Aborigine.
- A Maori.
- An Indian meal.
- We're going out tonight for an Indian.
SynonymsAmerindian, Native American Native Canadian, First Nations person
- See also Wikisaurus:Native American