(1) Supported from above
"A pendant bunch of grapes"
(2) The act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
"There was a small ceremony for the hanging of the portrait"
(3) A form of capital punishment; victim is suspended by the neck from a gallows or gibbet until dead
"In those days the hanging of criminals was a public entertainment"
(4) Decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
"The cold castle walls were covered with hangings"
- The hanging vines made the house look older than it was.
- The act of hanging a person (or oneself) by the neck in order to execute that person (or to commit suicide).
- Hanging is the punishment for one convicted of war crimes, there.
- A public event at which a person is hanged.
- The hanging of the bandits was attended by the whole village.
- Anything wide, high and rather thin that is hung as a decorative element (such as curtains, gobelins, wallpaper or posters).
- The various hangings on that Christmas tree look nice.
- The way in which hangings (decorations) are arranged.
- I dislike the cramped hanging in the gallery of 18th century painters.