(1) Of a more or less German nature; somewhat German
"His Germanic nature"
"Formidable volumes Teutonic in their thoroughness"
(2) Of or pertaining to the ancient Teutons or their languages
"Teutonic peoples such as Germans and Scandinavians and British"
(3) Of or relating to the language of Germans
"The Germanic sound shifts"
(4) A branch of the Indo-European family of languages; members that are spoken currently fall into two major groups: Scandinavian and West Germanic
- The early, undocumented language from which other Germanic languages such as German, English, Dutch and Scandinavian languages developed.
- The group of Indo-European languages that developed from Germanic.
- Having German characteristics
- Relating to the Germanic peoples (such as Germans, Scandinavians or Anglo-Saxons)
- Relating to the language or group of languages known as Germanic