(1) (music) a short lively tune played on brass instruments
"He entered to a flourish of trumpets"
"Her arrival was greeted with a rousing fanfare"
(2) A gaudy outward display
- A flourish of trumpets or horns as to announce; a short and lively air performed on hunting horns during the chase.
- They played a short fanfare to announce the arrival of the king.
- A show of ceremony or celebration.
- The town opened the new library with fanfare and a speech from the mayor.
- A brass band, with percussion.
- A fanfare (flourish).