(1) Thought that makes something comprehensible
(2) A statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc.
"The explanation was very simple"
"I expected a brief account"
(3) The act of explaining; making something plain or intelligible
"I heard his explanation of the accident"
< < ; see explain.
- The act or process of explaining
- The explanation was long and drawn-out.
- Something that explains, makes understandable
- An explanation for each UFO sighting was easily found.
- An excuse, apologetic justification poorly based in facts
- The rascal's inventive explanations rarely spared him a well-deserved spanking.