(1) Uncertainty about the truth or factuality of existence of something
"The dubiousness of his claim"
"There is no question about the validity of the enterprise"
(2) The state of being unsure of something
(3) Consider unlikely or have doubts about
"I doubt that she will accept his proposal of marriage"
(4) Lack confidence in or have doubts about
"I doubt these reports"
"I suspect her true motives"
"She distrusts her stepmother"
From douten from douter from douter, from dubitare. Replaced tweonien "to doubt" (from twēonian, cf twēo "doubt, duplicity").
- To lack confidence in; to disbelieve, question, or suspect.
- He doubted that was really what you meant.
- benefit of the doubt
- beyond a shadow of a doubt
- beyond doubt
- beyond reasonable doubt
- doubting Thomas