(1) A turning aside (of your course or attention or concern)
"A diversion from the main highway"
"A digression into irrelevant details"
"A deflection from his goal"
(2) Deviate behavior
(3) The error of a compass due to local magnetic disturbances
(4) The difference between an observed value and the expected value of a variable or function
(5) A variation that deviates from the standard or norm
"The deviation from the mean"
- The act of deviating; a wandering from the way; variation from the common way, from an established rule, etc.; departure, as from the right course or the path of duty.
- The state or result of having deviated; a transgression; an act of sin; an error; an offense.
- The voluntary and unnecessary departure of a ship from, or delay in, the regular and usual course of the specific voyage insured, thus releasing the underwriters from their responsibility.
- The shortest distance between the center of the target and the point where a projectile hits or bursts.
- For interval variables and ratio variables, a measure of difference between the observed value and the mean.