(1) A mistake that results from taking one thing to be another
"He changed his name in order to avoid confusion with the notorious outlaw"
(2) An act causing a disorderly combination of elements with identities lost and distinctions blended
"The confusion of tongues at the Tower of Babel"
(3) A mental state characterized by a lack of clear and orderly thought and behavior
"A confusion of impressions"
(4) A feeling of embarrassment that leaves you confused
(5) Disorder resulting from a failure to behave predictably
"The army retreated in confusion"