(1) An artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system
"Spare components for cars"
"A component or constituent element of a system"
(2) An abstract part of something
"Jealousy was a component of his character"
"Two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"
"The grammatical elements of a sentence"
"A key factor in her success"
"Humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"
(3) Something determined in relation to something that includes it
"He wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"
"I read a portion of the manuscript"
"The smaller component is hard to reach"
From , present participle of .
- A smaller, self-contained part of a larger entity. Often refers to a manufactured object that is part of a larger device.
- A CPU is a component of a computer.
- Making up a larger whole; as a component word.
- Made up of smaller complete units in combination; as a component stereo.