(1) The act of competing as for profit or a prize
"The teams were in fierce contention for first place"
(2) An occasion on which a winner is selected from among two or more contestants
(3) The contestant you hope to defeat
"He had respect for his rivals"
"He wanted to know what the competition was doing"
(4) A business relation in which two parties compete to gain customers
"Business competition can be fiendish at times"
- The action of competing.
- The competition for this job is strong.
- A contest for a prize or award.
- The newspaper is featuring a competition to win a car.