(1) A group of animals of the same type living together
(2) (microbiology) a group of organisms grown from a single parent cell
(3) A body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government
(4) A geographical area politically controlled by a distant country
(5) One of the 13 British colonies that formed the original states of the United States
- Region or governmental unit created by another country and generally ruled by another country.
- A group of organisms of same or different species living together in close association.