(1) A complex of buildings in which an institution of higher education is housed
(2) British slang for prison
(3) The body of faculty and students of a college
(4) An institution of higher education created to educate and grant degrees; often a part of a university
From , from .
- An institution of [further education] at an intermediate level (in the UK, typically teaching those aged 16 to 19); sixth form.
- An institution for adult education at a basic or intermediate level (teaching those of any age).
- A secondary school (Eton College).
- A non-specialized, semi-autonomous division of a university, with its own faculty, departments, library, etc (Pembroke College, Cambridge; Balliol College, Oxford; University College London).
- A residential hall of a university, which may be independent or have its own tutors but is not involved in teaching.
- (Loosely) Any institution of higher education.
- An institution of higher education teaching undergraduates and/or graduates. Nearly synonymous with university, with less emphasis on research and may, or may not, have graduate or doctoral programs.
- A specialized division of a university (College of Engineering).