(1) A large waterfall; violent rush of water over a precipice
(2) Clouding of the natural lens of the eye
From cataracta 'waterfall, portcullis', from , from .
- A waterspout
- A large waterfall; steep rapids in a river.
- The cataracts on the Nile helped compartiment Upper Egypt, since the Pharaonic age marking several nome boundaries
- A downpour, flood of water
- A disease of the eye causing its opacity and, unless treated, leading to blindness.
- A cataract, waterfall, river rapids
- Cataract, a grave, gradual eye lens disease