(1) A rounded part of a cylindrical instrument (usually at one end)
"The bulb of a syringe"
(2) Electric lamp consisting of a transparent or translucent glass housing containing a wire filament (usually tungsten) that emits light when heated by electricity
(3) A rounded dilation or expansion in a canal or vessel or organ
(4) Lower or hindmost part of the brain; continuous with spinal cord; (`bulb' is an old term for medulla oblongata)
"The medulla oblongata is the most vital part of the brain because it contains centers controlling breathing and heart functioning"
(5) A modified bud consisting of a thickened globular underground stem serving as a reproductive structure
- Any solid object rounded at one end and tapering on the other, possibly attached to a larger object at the tapered end
- A light bulb
- The bulb-shaped root portion of a plant such as a tulip, from which the rest of the plant may be regrown.
- light bulb
- flash bulb
- tulip bulb