(1) Fraudulent; having a misleading appearance
(2) Derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin
"The architecture was a kind of bastard suggesting Gothic but not true Gothic"
(3) Insulting terms of address for people who are stupid or irritating or ridiculous
(4) The illegitimate offspring of unmarried parents
From from from Medieval Latin of origin from + -ard. Akin to from from . An alternate source derives it from "child of a nobleman by a woman other than his wife" possibly from Old French fils de bast "packsaddle son", meaning a child conceived on an improvised bed; as saddles often doubled as beds while traveling, with pejorative ending -art, -ard. Lastly the word may derive from another , again suggestive of low (peasant) origin.
- Person who was born out of wedlock, hence often considered an illegitimate descendant.
- A mongrel. A biological cross between different breeds, groups or varieties.
- (vulgar referring to a man) A contemptible, inconsiderate, overly or arrogantly rude or spiteful person. See asshole, sod.
- Some bastard stole my car while I was helping an injured person.
- A man, a fellow, a male friend.
- lucky bastard, poor bastard
- Get over here, you old bastard!
- : A child that does not know his father.
- : Something extremely difficult or unpleasant to deal with.
- Life can be a real bastard.
- A variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin, fake or counterfeit.
- The architecture was a kind of bastard, suggesting Gothic but not being true Gothic.
- An intermediate-grade steel file; also : bastard file.
- A long, straight, narrow sword, with an undecorated hilt; a longsword.
Not always regarded as a (religious) stigma (in canon law prohibitive for clerical office without papal indult): Norman duke William, the Conqueror of England, is referred to in state documents as "William the Bastard"; a Burgundian prince was even officially styled Great Bastard of Burgundy.
- (illegitimate descendant) love-child
- (term of abuse) son of a bitch, arsehole
- of or like a bastard (illegitimate human descendant)
- of or like a bastard (bad person)
- of or like a mongrel, bastardized creature/cross
- of abnormal, irregular or otherwise inferior qualities (size, shape etc.)
- spurious, lacking genuinity of authenticity: counterfeit, fake
- Exclamation of strong dismay or strong sense of being upset.