(1) A ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs
"He played baseball in high school"
"There was a baseball game on every empty lot"
"There was a desire for National League ball in the area"
(2) A ball used in playing baseball
- A sport common in North America, the Caribbean, and Japan, in which the object is to strike a ball so that one of a nine-person team can run counter-clockwise among four bases, resulting in the scoring of a run. The team with the most runs after termination of play, usually nine innings, wins.
- The ball used to play the sport of baseball.
- A variant of poker in which cards with baseball-related values have special significance.