(1) The atmosphere above a nation that is deemed to be under its jurisdiction
"The plane was refused permission to enter Chinese airspace"
(2) The space in the atmosphere immediately above the earth
- A specified portion of the atmosphere, especially that under the technical aviation control and/or jurisdiction of a particular state over which territory (and territorial waters) it lies.
- Various European countries transferred the aviation control of their adjoining airspace to Eurocontrol, while each retaining legal jurisdiction
- A designated part of the sky for aircraft use.
- Space (i.e. a few neighboring frequencies) available for broadcasting within a particular frequency band.
- The legalisation of free radios caused a bitter fight for airspace