(1) The appropriation (of ideas or words etc) from another source
"The borrowing of ancient motifs was very apparent"
(2) The act of accepting with approval; favorable reception
"Its adoption by society"
"The proposal found wide acceptance"
(3) A legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit)
- The act of adopting, or state of being adopted; voluntary acceptance of a child of other parents to be the same as one's own child.
- A Chinese baby girl was given away for adoption.
- Admission to a more intimate relation; reception; as, the adoption of persons into hospitals or monasteries, or of one society into another.
- The choosing and making that to be one's own which originally was not so; acceptance; as, the adoption of opinions.