Glashütte is a town in Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge
Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge is a district in the Free State of Saxony, Germany. It is named after the mountain ranges Saxon Switzerland and Erzgebirge.- History :...
, Free State of Saxony, Germany
Germany , officially the Federal Republic of Germany , is a federal parliamentary republic in Europe. The country consists of 16 states while the capital and largest city is Berlin. Germany covers an area of 357,021 km2 and has a largely temperate seasonal climate...
, which was the birthplace of the German watch
A watch is a small timepiece, typically worn either on the wrist or attached on a chain and carried in a pocket, with wristwatches being the most common type of watch used today. They evolved in the 17th century from spring powered clocks, which appeared in the 15th century. The first watches were...
making industry. The city has a population of about 4,700. Historically it was first mentioned in a document around 1445. In January 2008, the former municipality Reinhardtsgrimma
Reinhardtsgrimma is a former municipality in the district of Weißeritzkreis in Saxony in Germany located near Dresden. On 2 January 2008, it merged into the town Glashütte....
was merged into Glashütte.
Watches currently made in this location include:
- A. Lange & SöhneA. Lange & SöhneA. Lange & Söhne is a trademark of German watchmaking company Lange Uhren GmbH , a subsidiary of Richemont SA. Lange pocket and wrist watches are among the finest in the world, competing with watches produced by Swiss firms such as Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin.- History :Lange was...
- Bruno Söhnle Uhrenatelier Glashütte
- Glashütte OriginalGlashütte OriginalGlashütte Original is a German watchmaking company founded in 1994 by the privatization of VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe . GUB was an East German conglomerate formed in 1951 from the watch companies based in Glashütte. This included A. Lange & Söhne, founded in 1845...
- Nautische Instrumente Mühle
- NOMOS / Wempe Chronometerwerke
- Union Glashütte