I suffered a severe angioedema attack that caused me to go into anaphylactic shock in January of this year. I was hospitalised for 3 days. This is the first time I have ever had any such attack and have never shown any symptoms of an allergy in the past. I am female and in my forties. It has been nearly 10 months since that attack and I have had no attacks at all since then. My GP and doctors at the hospital insist I carry an epipen around with me. My question is, can this problem only affect you once or is it certain that you will suffer again. I have no idea what caused the problem in the first place.